Baked beetroot tart with chive crème fraiche
Ingredients - Serves 4
80 g butter
4 x small nicely rounded cooked beetroots - peeled
1 x medium raw beetroot - peeled
1 x tablespoon brown sugar
200 g crème fraiche
1 x tablespoon fresh chives – finely diced
250 g block of puff pastry – thawed
Plain flour – to sprinkle
Salt & black pepper
A bunch of rocket & frisee lettuce to garnish
1 x tablespoon of white wine vinegar juice
1 x tablespoon of walnut oil
1 x teaspoon French mustard
Specialist equipment : 4 x non stick (tefal pans) approx 15cm, rolling pin
Japanese vegetable slicer (optional garnish)
- Sprinkle a work surface with flour then divide the thawed puff pastry into 4 pieces.
- Roll these out to a thickness of about 5 mm. Then cut circles from this to a size of about 15cm. using a saucer or small plate. Don’t worry about precise size!
- Evenly slice each cooked beetroot into 5 pieces.
- Now lay 5 pieces of beetroot in the butter and sugar overlapping in the non stick pan. Repeat with each pan.
- Place the rolled puff pastry on top of the beetroot and fold in the edges so that they are not over hanging the pan. Place in a hot oven (190 degrees centigrade or gas 5) until browned (7 – 10 mins).
- While waiting peel the raw beetroot and finely julienne (Japanese slicer) and thoroughly wash under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Add chives to crème fraiche and season with salt & pepper and combine the walnut oil, white wine vinegar & French mustard for a salad dressing. If necessary wash the salads and dry thoroughly.
- Once the tarts are nicely browned remove from the oven and carefully turn out onto warmed plates. Serve with the dressed salad, crème fraiche & raw beetroot.